Producing glass with an iridescent finish to replicate that found on excavated Roman glass, had, according to Mark Hill,been invented by Leo Valentina Pantocsek (1812 – 1893).
Iridescent glass production in Stourbridge was started later, in 1877, by Thomas Wilkes Webb who patented an invention, for “An Improved Means of Producing Iridescent Colours on Glass”. Thomas Webb & Sons exhibited this glass, which they called Bronze, at the Paris Exhibition of 1878.
Hodgetts, Richardson & Son also displayed bronze iridescent glass, at the Paris 1878 exhibition and were promptly pursued by Webb for infringing their patent.
Stevens & Williams did not produce iridescent glass until 1908, when it was known as “Fleuriscent” glass.